J-1 visa Interns are current students or recent graduates of degree or certificate granting post-secondary academic institutions outside the USA. If they are recently graduated, they must start their internship within one year of graduating. Their field of training must be related to their field of study.
Program duration: Interns are permitted to train in the USA for up to 12 months.
J-1 visa Trainees must have earned a related degree or professional certificate from a post-secondary academic institution abroad and have at least one year of related professional experience completed outside the USA. If they do not have a degree or certificate in the field of training, they must have at least five years of related professional experience acquired outside the U.S.
Program duration: Trainees are permitted to work in the U.S. for up to 18 months, unless they are participating in the Hospitality and Tourism program category, which cannot exceed 12 months.
Visa Application Requirements
To obtain the J-1 Intern or Trainee visa, participants will need:
- High to fluent levels of English proficiency
- Meet all general eligibility requirements
- DS-2019 form provided and signed by Spirit Cultural Exchange
- DS-7002 form Training and Internship Placement Plan (T/IPP), which describes the content of the Internship or Training program. This form must be signed by the sponsor, Host Company, and participant, and must state specific goals and objectives of the training or internship program as well as detail the knowledge, skills or techniques to be learned by the Trainee or Intern during the course of their program.
- Standard U.S. visa application forms, a valid passport, and required photographs. All participants must pay the standard visa application and SEVIS fees and secure receipts. Participants should consult the website of the closest U.S. Consulate for details.