Congratulations on coming to the United States this winter! You are in for a treat, since winters here are usually a beautiful time of year.
The cold can be challenge if you are not used to it, so here are some tips on how to stay warm and have a great time this winter!
Make sure to pack all the warm clothing that you will need! This includes warm boots, gloves, and hats. It is better to be too warm than too cold.
Other important items to pack include:
- DS-2019 form
- Housing deposit + initial rent money
- Job Offer
- Social Security Letter
- Any prescription medication
- Clothes for your work uniform
- Spices from your home country
- Weather-appropriate clothing
- Something to remind you of home
Remember to bring or purchase lotion or other moisturizer. The cool winter air can be drying for your skin!
- Layer your clothing and blankets to stay warm when the temperatures drop. Wearing multiple warm layers, such as clothing made from wool, will keep you cozy no matter the temperature.
- Eat warm food and drinks to warm yourself up. Hot chocolate, coffee, or tea or a hearty soup or stew are great options to heat yourself up.
- Check your housing heating to make sure things are working properly. Contact your Host Employer or housing provider if you have any issues or questions about using your heating.
- Keep curtains open during the day and close them when the sun goes down to bring in the most warmth to your housing during the hottest part of the day.
- Bring or purchase slippers and blankets to keep yourself comfortable as you move about your housing.
Whatever you choose to do this winter, you will have a great time learning about American winter culture and making new friends while you do it!