How to make chocolate 101:
- Roast the cacao in a heavy bottom pan. If the bottom is too thin, the cacao will burn.
- The cacao speaks to you. As you are roasting the cacao, you will begin to hear popping sounds similar to popcorn. After you hear 8-10 pops, the cacao is done roasting.
- Remove it from the heat and peel off the husks. These husks are what is sometimes mixed into exfoliating scrubs. Be careful not to burn yourself! Michael has little blisters on his pointer fingers and thumbs from peeling cacao nibs while it was too hot!
- Next, grind the nibs into a powder.
- Done! (ish) Now you have to decide what to make with it. This powder is 100% cacao, so it is very bitter and does not hold together, but you could definitely taste that it’s chocolate!